Monday, February 21, 2011

Some Moka Stuffs

There were so many awesome things to do and see in Moka. Here are just the highlights.
This is the Cascades:
It was probably my favorite spot in Moka, it was just so beautiful. I was lucky to have seen the waterfalls because usually it is too cloudy to see anything. My guide let me stop census for a while so I could just enjoy it.

Here is me with one of Elliot's Chameleons:
I helped Elliot with his project and went out on night census (the best time to catch chameleons). He caught over 100 in these two weeks!

A pond by the lake:
The lake was really pretty. All the students were supposed to camp up there, but we got rained out. So I was one of the only ones who got to see it. This pond was so beautiful (I think I liked it more than the lake). My guide and I had our lunch break here between censuses.

The two little houses at the bottom of the mountain make up the wildlife center:
It was amazing calling this place home for 2 weeks. I took this picture coming out of one of the trail entrances. Sometimes on the left a group of erythrotis hang out right by the road. Cars don't go by too often, but people are always walking along the road. They're not scared of anything, unlike the monkeys in the Caldera who were scared of everything.

This is the road built through my trail :(
The monkeys not only face the threat of bushmeat hunting, they also have to deal with logging and habitat loss. These kinds of roads make it even easier for hunters to come in. And since Moka is a little residential area hunting is already a big problem. There is nothing I can really do, and I hate feeling so helpless.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Beth...wow...you slept there at wildlife center amidst all those beautiful lush mountains !!!! I like Elliot's lizard...what's his name? Are they waterfalls coming out of the casade mts.? unbelievable beauty....the cleared land for roads makes me so sad....can't that be stopped ? it is so exciting for me to see more of your pictures....thanks girl...love and miss you....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darling....Let's move the whole family to Bioko !!!! I think I would love to live there...I bet the people are nice and kind...well, not the hunters...I would help you catch the hunters and put them in jail :+) We would make a great team....oh, Jill would like that too...and Andi Jane...All My Love, Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiiiiiiiiiiii Bethyyyy!

    It's so pretty there! I would not like it if creatures were running all over me, so props to you for enjoying that experience.

    Loveee and miss you!!

    Kathleen
    PS Courtney says hi too!!! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chickie....I copied ur blog in color for Ma and she loved seeing the pics and especially reading all ur comments !!!! Bev

    ReplyDelete