Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hip Hop, Beaches, and Typhoid?



So I've been back in Malabo for a little while now, and I don't think I will ever get used to some aspects of this city. Like for instance every time our group goes out, we attract so much attention. We get called "blancos" and "chinos" because apparently every person who is not African is Chinese (there is a strangely large presence of Chinese people here).

Also, Gretchen got typhoid a little while ago, and was super sick for a few days. We took her to the clinic and she was throwing up all over. They never cleaned any of it up. She just sat in her own vomit the whole time. Healthcare is slightly different here.

There isn't really all that much to do in Malabo, and you're not allowed to go anywhere by yourself. We're also only taking three classes at UNGE. So pretty much we have to make our own things to do. We eat at local restaraunts all the time."Arroz con platanos" is my meal of choice. We also go to the French and Spanish cultural centers a lot. They have interesting events sometimes, like we have gone to a hip hop show and a two part play series.

On the weekends we have these little day field trips. Last weekend we went to Arena Blanca, which is the only "white" sand beach. It was kind of gross and trashy, but nice to get out of the city atleast. Then this past weekend we went hiking on this mountain by a little village called Richae. It was crazy because our guide was a hunter, and along the trail we kept seeing these duiker traps that he maintains. He said that he hunts to feed his family though, so atleast he doesn't contribute to the bushmeat trade. After the hike we went to a little black sand beach and it was so gorgeous and untouched! All pictures in this post are from there:
Best Beach Ever!
Not pictured: me and Liz

3 comments:

  1. Hey African Queen....wow...what beaches !!!! I have never seen a black sand beach before....is it soft sand? really black or just called black ? Did u get wet? I really love the tin roof houses...reminds me of Haiti...where the people are so warm and friendly....Any more monkey pictures or pictures of you in the rainforest? I would love to see some pictures of you !!!! and your cohorts...Can't wait to see u in about 28 days !!!! M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is your hermano. Good to see you are having so many awesome experiences! I am jealous. We will have to go camping when you get back and hike some trails, now that you are in better shape then me. Stay real

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Beth- The summer I was in Cameroon I always wanted to get to the area with the black sand beaches! I am so happy for you! :) Praying for your health!

    ReplyDelete